Sunday, July 25, 2010

My New Favorite Food

Remember last week when I said I wanted to make Giada's Zucchini & Olive Flatbread?   I made it and I will be making it often.  It is so simple and SO delicious.

As a starter, I made some kale chips.  Basically, you tear kale into bite size pieces, coat it in olive oil (I used the salad spinner to get all the extra oil off), sprinkle some salt and bake for 10 minutes at 350.


They are light and crispy, which is awesome.  The taste is unlike anything I've had before though.   They were quite yummy, and they came in handy later.

For the flatbread, I bought a ready made Pillsbury pizza dough.  I have never rolled out pizza dough before, but it seems like I need a little work.  I did try to toss it in the air but that was a joke.


You stab the dough all over with a fork (which is a great way to vent at the dough for being so freaking difficult).  This keeps the dough from rising and turning bready in the oven--- We want it to be crisp.  Then you brush olive oil all over.

Next, I sliced the zucchini and covered the dough completely with it.  It's hard to get the slicely really thin, but I did my best.

At this point you bake it for 20 minutes at 450.
While that was happening, I got all of the other ingredients ready.   Sliced olives, chopped spinach (my own addition), mozzarella and parmesan.   But- oh no!  I forgot oregano.   And that is when I decided to crush the kale chips and use them.  Such a good decision!


After 20 minutes, you take the pizza out and put the olives, spinach, cheeses and "oregano" on it before baking for another 5 minutes.

When all is said and done, you get this gloriousness.



I cannot explain how yummy it is.   It was so good that I had to share it with 4 neighbors so that other people would know how good it was.

I will definitely be making this again!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment